Tuesday, June 10, 2014

RE: Type Based Cover Design

There are endless possibilities that typography can explore when it comes to book design. I always find it fascinating when I see type working really well on a cover. For this post, I was looking for some type only designs and some with illustrations/images working with the type.
In George Simenon's Maigret, I like how he used the type to create a image. It was a clever concept of how he has the smoke symbolizing his name and the other words are working to create the face with the black hat. Also, this was a nice color pallet. 

In Richard Feynman's, What do you care what people think? He used a type only design. I often think that type only designs are harder because you have to really get the message across without any images. It forces the readers to actually think about the concept. I like how the different typefaces are working together; even with the yellow on yellow.

I think Always & Forever and Five Other Lies by Veronika Simonovic is very interesting book cover with type only. It reminds me middle school when everyone draw in bubble letters. You can defiantly see the movement and the flow of the words in this piece. I love the colors and the shape that this creates.