Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Re: Are Books Going Out of Style?- Derrick C.

This is an interesting post. I've always been fascinated by libraries. I remember my first time going to the library. I put about six books in my book bag and tried to take them home. Little did I know as I got to the exit door, the alarm sounded and an librarian and a security guard quickly came to question me. They asked me to empty my back and explained that in order for me to take books home, I'd need to have a library card. Wow, my very own library card. That same day they gave me an application to take home for my mom to fill out. I enjoyed reading fictional, mystery and fantasy.

When I started high school, we had summer reading. I remember reading, To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Scarlet letter and Romeo and Juliet. Also during this time, I spent a lot of time researching for essays and using the librarian for their expertise with certain artifacts. When I started college, I found databases to be very helpful. Google and the internet seemed to take some of the stress away from spending hours in the library. I still enjoy reading but the platform has changed a bit. I don't read a lot of books because I'm on the go a lot and don't like to carry a lot of stuff. Some books I'd rather read on my kindle.


I think that young folks still enjoy reading but with technology always changing and becoming more available, I think that they would rather use other avenues that's more convenient for them. I don't think that they're loosing interest with all the reality tv shows, celebrity news, and just all the stuff going on, reading a regular book might be boring. They like images and videos are really popular as well. But, I just think that it's changing a bit, not sure if its better but we have some smart youngsters, so they got to be doing something right, right? lol.