Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Re: Are Books Going Out of Style?

Reading has always been an important aspect for me. Personally, I considered myself a late bloomer when it came to liking to read books because I would rather read magazines. Nothing like a visual to go along with some text. But now I'll read a book any day of the week. I used to go to the library all the time as a child and always found myself having a knack for reading more informal content, newspaper articles, encyclopedias and magazines, as oppose to stories as a child. To this day, instead of the library I find myself at Barnes and Nobles when I'm working on/ or researching a project to gather ideas and gain inspiration from books and anything I can get my hands on.

I believe books are still relevant for kids these days, I have a niece and nephew that I always buy books for. My nephew isn't into them as much as my niece, but he reads books that appeal to what he likes to watch.  It's nothing for here to go through a chapter book in a day or two. After they finish we sit down and talk about what they read. If there not reading books there usually reading something on the iPad or laptop. I think the schools are leaning more towards teaching on the computer. So I think they're getting these skills from both books and technology.

Reading is still the backbone of education and I don't think it'll ever go out of style.