Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Re: Books+Movies=Boovies

I wanted to select covers of Boovies that I had both read and seen. Below are three that fit that description. 

What I've noticed is that when most "books turned to movies" are reissued, publishers take the movie poster and slap it on the front of the book. I know it's a marketing ploy but I can't help but feel they're cheating and taking away from the original cover design (assuming it was a good one). The originality is lost.

Case in point here with Eat Pray Love. The use of objects as type here is so much more clever. And the objects themselves correlate with where she is on her personal journey. Not that I don't love Julia  and Javier, but the original design is a true book cover design-- not a movie poster.



I don't remember if and what the significance is of the three birds from The Help. Props to the designers though for sticking with the color scheme in the republished copy.



It's been a while since I've read One Day, but it (obviously) is a love story, set over a decade or so (and is a bit of a tear jerker). I actually don't care for the original book cover in this case. I don't think there's a whole lot of interesting elements going on here.