Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Books+Movies=Boovies

So, I've spent a lot of time at the local library looking at book covers. I started to notice that a lot of the books that I was looking at were also made into movies that I've seen or wanted to see. I didn't realize it was so many. I began to compare the book covers to the movie covers to see the similarities and differences. I looked at the design with the audience in mind. We've discussed this is class somewhat, but I want to know what are your favorite books that's also been made into a movie.(Or tv show). Discuss which one you like the most and why.




Of course, I had to start with Fitzgerald's, The Great Gatsby. I love both the movie and book version, but I have to go with the book cover. I like the imagery and how it's working with the type. The book cover gives you just enough information to get the concept without over doing it. The movie poster/cover looks cheap. There seems to be a lot going on with the design of the type, the images and the background.



I'm fascinated with supernatural and fantasy books so I was looking at Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris which I'm comparing to the HBO Tv show True Blood with Sookie Stackhouse and vampire lover, Bill Compton. The book cover expresses exactly what the book is about. It has the two main characters flying. You can see the house on fire. I like the imagery and coloring and the shadows, but I like True Blood's cover better. It's something about that image. The pale vampire woman with the red lips and that drop of blood just pulls me in. It's so much more interesting.


Here are a few more examples that I liked….