Sunday, June 8, 2014

RE: Type Based Cover Design

Jessica,

I'm glad you brought up this discussion. It was something I was contemplating when mapping out ideas for the recent assignment. I agree that a type-based cover is very effective but extremely difficult to execute successfully. I think when it's done right,  it shows the power of type and decision making. One thing we often talk about in class is the role of hierarchy. What we do with text, the placement, the color, kerning, leading, size can make or break a conceptual or expressive idea. With type-based design you don't have an image to help assist with the execution of your idea. I think what makes The Great Gatsby and Moonlight covers so amazing is the use of additional elements. I had never seen that Gatsby cover until today and I think it's brilliant. I also think if you remove the image of the man, you would have a completely different concept and less appealing cover. What I love about the Moonlight cover is that (as I just imagined) if you removed illustrations or even made the background black or dark blue, it'd still be a great use of type. It's the subtle things that can take a simple word to a larger, artistically envisioned concept. I have shared a few type-based covers I think are nicely executed.






Of these five, I really like how the eye chart is executed with the help of sizing and kerning of the type. The slight blur over some of the letters helps with the concept as well. I read The Night of the Gun and enjoyed the book greatly. I also had the library copy so to see the dollar bill in the middle of the title was an interesting detail to include. I find the Outer Dark cover a great sense of hierarchy. I'm also slightly annoyed that the design includes a praise blurb by the NYT :/ Nevertheless. the color choice is a great complement to the typeface. Ohhh Google :)