Monday, June 23, 2014

Re: Children's Books and Literature- Jessica

As mentioned in a previous post, I loved reading as a child. I remember reading Dr. Seuss regularly and some other favorites I can instantly think of include Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Some of my favorite authors I always turned to though as a child were Eric Carle and William Joyce.

Eric Carle has an easily recognizable style of beautifully bright, collaged illustrations. One of my favorites of his is the classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I also loved Draw Me a Star as a child because well, it taught me how to draw a star!



I grew up reading many of William Joyce's stories. We share the same hometown of Shreveport, Louisiana-- where he and his family still reside-- and he has had major success in his career. I knew him as an author of many of my favorites as a child, such as Dinosaur Bob and his Adventures with the Family Lazardo and Santa Calls. Now, he is an Emmy and Academy Award winning author, illustrator, and filmmaker. His production studio Moonbot Studios took home the 2012 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film for The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. The short film was based off the book version, and has now expanded into a pretty awesome interactive app. His books have inspired some pretty major animated films such as Epic, Rise of the Guardians, and Meet the Robinsons. He's a brilliant storyteller and illustrator. Obviously I've been a huge fan of his since childhood, and continue to follow his success.