Thursday, June 19, 2014

Guilty Pleasure-Adina

Hmmm do I even have any guilty pleasures when it comes to books? I honestly can't think of any but I will say I read books that I'm ashamed to say I did. In high school my fiction teacher received free copies of a new release called Explicit Content by Black Artemis. The book was the average "street-lit" coined book, which if I can recall was about a young woman who manages to be turned into a rapper and gets caught up in the world of sex,drugs,hip-hop and more. I was mad my teacher made us read it for class and upset I read it cover-to-cover.

Sadly, I was amongst the readers who brought The 50 Shades trilogy. In my defense it was the first book for a book club I had joined. I will say that was one book I was embarrassed to be seen with and I had the paperback edition, so no hiding it on an e-reader. I read the first chapter of book one and quickly returned the other two to Amazon for a refund and gave book one away to a friend. I refused to waste my eyes and mind reading that thing and I am disappointed to know it has gained the world-wide success it has. Quality, people, quality! Smh to E.L. James.

Now that I think about it, given I was a big sports fan coming up, I often felt people looked at me weird for reading a biography on Kobe Bryant about three times, and Shaq's autobiography (which was really good). Sports-related books may not be seen as the best material but when you're a fan, you're a fan of the game.

Read without shame. Enjoy the books that grab you and keep you close!