Monday, June 9, 2014

Re: Type Based Cover Design

I like typographic books covers that are clean, relatively simple, and a little witty. The simple ones are the hardest to create and I much admire the power that they possess once that simple design is executed. I love when typography is used to create an image as well. I particularly love that Great Gatsby cover that Jessica posted. The martini glass is perfect and the way the figure is shaped to appear sitting works so well. For these examples that I posted, I like how in Competition, the letters are just slightly competing against each other to be first. And in Dry, the letters are still drying against the background. Very subtle, but so clever. It makes the viewer a minute to get it, but once they do they feel they are in on the joke and that makes the design reach out farther than it did the minute before.



I've seen a lot of knocked out type designs and covers lately, and I really like this style too. It allows the type to have a strong impact with the image, I think. And it also adds a bit of thought to figuring out what the letters are in the design, which holders the viewers interest longer too. 


And then these are just some other ones that I liked. The Kennedy one is interesting, in the placement of the title, text "A Novel" and the date. I think the impact of the words together works well. And I just like the way that The Mayor's Tongue is make up of little tiny bits of text.