Sunday, June 1, 2014

Re: The End Days of Bunny Ears?

This is a great question! I do love books, but I don't love clutter. So I do find myself feeling more and more like I want to buy a Kindle. I actually don't own one yet, but I've been stubborn about wanting to hold onto the idea of holding a physical book. I think for me it will be a balance. Last semester in Design Studio 1, we used the digital version of Josef Albers' Interaction of Color. This was my first experience with a digital book and I was really impressed. There was a lot of interactivity that defined terms in the way that Albers was using them to explain different color theories. Also the reader could use the interactivity to create their own color studies, which I thought was an excellent way to teach color theory as well. I think the interactive/digital version of this book goes a long way to adding to the teaching instruction that is capable. I think for textbooks, digital and interactive versions are great teaching tools!




Also, if I'm just reading a paperback that some recommended, I think having an e-book on a Kindle or Nook, etc, is the way to go. I really don't want all those throw away paperbacks cluttering up my house and if I had an e-reader with those types of books, I think I would really enjoy it.

That being said, there are definitely books that I must have a hard, printed copy of to hold in my hands, turn the pages and enjoy. I treasure my Harry Potter books and the cloth bound Penguin classics that were released that would cloth bound and stamped, I love them and I want to collect all of them because there really is something to admire about a well-constructed book and I do hope that never does truly go away.