Thursday, June 12, 2014

Re: Books + Movies = Boovies

I don't think I have much to pull from in this category. I try to avoid watching a movie before I've read the corresponding book. Because my reading list is long, and I often bump books I want to read for books more recently discovered books I want to read, I frequently don't get around to reading the book and thus don't end up seeing the movie either. There are a few cases where I've broken this rule and ended up seeing the movie before I read the book (The last 3 Harry Potter films, for example), but not many.

I did read The Hunger Games before I read the movie and to my knowledge the cover has not been redone since the movie was released. Same for the two subsequent books as far as I can tell. This is a plus I'd say because I like the simplicity of the original cover.


If the cover were redone, I imagine it would be similar to the movie poster shown below. As much as I love a good expressive book cover, I don't much care for pictures for some reason? I think  it's striking as a poster, but the book just leaves a little more to the imagination. 



I haven't seen the Fault In Our Stars movie but I have read the book. Definitely prefer the original book cover. 

It's not that I don't like the newer covers per se. I think the one for The Fault In Our Stars is actually nice. I think in general I just prefer the subtlety that books offer. There's just something alluring about alluding to what's inside a book without actually showing it to me. At least these books anyway :).