Sunday, June 15, 2014

Re: Are Books Going Out of Style?

Aseloka, I was the exact opposite! I loved going to the public library as a kid and taking home as many books as I could. My mom would take my sisters and I regularly. And I was a proud library card owner-- it made me feel so grown up and sophisticated. I remember in the third grade my school implementing an accelerated reader program which really encouraged me to read more and at higher reading levels. As I got older though into my teens and more and more required reads were expected, I lost interest. Those english teachers were so pushy! I've circled back around though as an adult-- I do love to read (when I have the time) and want to kick fifteen year old me for not sucking it up and reading when I was supposed to.

Personally, it's hard to say how kids feel these days about reading. I don't have any that belong to me and am not around them enough to know. I do think though that it varies greatly on your environment, as it always has. The influence and encouragement from parents, peers, and educators obviously weigh very heavily on young minds.

I don't think reading will ever go out of style. The format and structure of it will probably change, sure. Younger generations have more of a range of outlets (i.e. e-readers, social media) to sneak in reading at an earlier age than we ever had.