Monday, June 23, 2014

Re: Children's Books and Literature - Aseloka

As a child I always loved the story If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I loved the drawings and was thoroughly amused by the thought of this silly little mouse in overalls with so many requests. PLUS look at how big the cookie is compared to the mouse himself? How could you possibly want anything else after having eaten a cookie the size of your head??


I have very vivid memories of this adorable/outrageous critter and my fascination with the book itself. I was also a big fan of the Clifford the Big Red Dog books with the larger than life giant red pup!



I guess I've just always loved preposterous things. Even thinking back to that time just warms my heart, haha.

I don't read children's literature as an adult, but I've come across a book or two and what always jumps out to me now is the illustrations. I love a good visual representation of a scene that I'm reading about. That's definitely something I haven't come across in many of my readings as an adult that children's books are absolutely founded on. I love children's books that have the vibrantly colored, detailed illustrations. These are some pictures by an illustrator, Will Terry, whose work I admire.



I don't own any of the books he's illustrated but I love his drawings for children's stories especially. I might be stalking him a little bit on his blog. Just friendly stalking though, in a pinteresty sort of way. Nothing to worry about.

This isn't an area I've paid much attention to (aside from Will Terry's work) as an adult. I miss the expressive nature of everything that goes into a children's books. I just don't come across it enough now. Maybe graphic novels will be a nice compromise? I'll have to give it a go sometime.