Monday, June 23, 2014

Children's Book and Literature-Adina

Ah another sweet trip down memory lane.....I enjoyed the Berenstain Bears book series as well as the television show. There was always a lesson to be learned, usually at the hands of mischievous Brother Bear. I think because the family, though bears, reminded me of my own household, I had an appreciation for the books. I think they tackled almost every topic imaginable for a kid back in the day. Sadly to say, Mother Bear's facial expressions definitely remind me of my mother's then and now.



As a tween, I loved the Goosebumps series even though I sometimes went to sleep with one eye open. The books were always so engaging and every story, every character, every setting was different. What I loved most about Goosebumps was the fact that I wasn't the only one reading them so many times my friends and I would exchange books. I remember Go Eat Worms being the first of many in my collection. What I appreciated was how the series stuck to the script of the book, which often times for adult books adapted into screenplays tends to shy away from terribly.



Interestingly enough two high school classmates have recently written and illustrated the Carribean-based children's book Callaloo. Having seen the author's play before the book's formation, I thought this was a wonderful idea as it meets the need of an underrepresented audience. What I'm also starting to see is an influx of children's book aimed at African American children, which wasn't exactly spilling off of bookshelves when I was a kid. As a result of this post I have a strong desire to go in my basement and attic and dig my old books out for some reading adventures.