Sunday, June 1, 2014

Re: The End Days of Bunny Ears?

Funny, I've had this same conversation with many book lover friends and family in the past few years since digitized publications have really taken off. Usually, there is a concluding question of where does your loyalty lie: printed books or e-books? Because you must choose.

Wrong I say! Like most of you have pointed out already, I too am an admirer of both forms (no need to feel torn, right?). I do own a Kindle, but admittedly don't use it nearly as much. I reserve it mostly for the easy reads or recommended reads from friends. Generally speaking, I am an old-schooler who prefers the physical form; the page turning, note taking, and textures are all part of the experience. And like I mentioned last week, I can't get enough of beautifully crafted old books (even the ones I stupidly pack in my suitcase for the TSA to rip apart- lesson learned!).

I haven't really any experience with interactive e-reads that Kate brought up, but it seems to be emerging new fascinating experiences for readers. It's interesting to think too how writers and designers will evolve to create for this platform. But I hope-and believe- that the physical books aren't going anywhere. We have room on our bookshelves for both!