Monday, June 17, 2013

Re: Life-changing Books

Hana, I have never read Five Love Languages but from the descriptions you have given I believe my love language would be Acts of Service. My husband is like Mr. Mom and we don't even have kids yet! He cooks and cleans, does the majority of the laundry and always makes sure Rizzo (our puppy) is taken care of. These 'acts of service' lets me know he cares about me as well as our dog and home. I've been so busy lately with my new job and grad school but he's been amazingly supportive and taken up a lot of the things I would have considered my responsibility so I can focus on my projects. I'd be lost without him!


As for a life-changing book, Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood, would have to make the top of my list. The author, Koren Zailckas, writes about her personal alcohol abuse experiences beginning with early adolescents through her mid-twenties. I first read this book the summer before my junior year of high-school. Smashed turned out to be an eye-opening look into the world of alcohol, something I hadn't tried at that point in my life. However, since I would be going to college a few years later, it really made me think of what I was open to trying and what I wasn't. I often thought of this book through my college years, particularly when a friend of mine turned out to be borderline alcoholic. She luckily was smart enough to get help and her counselor suggested reading Smashed. It was an overwhelming, yet wonderful read for her as well and helped with her rehabilitation process.