Monday, June 24, 2013

Great Book -- Disappointing Cover

For this topic, I thought of a throwback -- The Giver. A know a few of us in class already mentioned both dislike and like for this book. I was the latter. The Giver is essentially a dystopian children's novel. In order to prevent any pain and anguish, the society has converted to "Sameness" -- there is no crime, no unemployment and no fear of war or any danger. No one has any memory of their former life except for "The Giver". I don't like this cover because I remember reading the story and my mind always went back to the man on the book cover -- rather than dreaming up my own image of The Giver. The book didn't allow me to have an imagination about who this person was and what he looked like, I could only see a old man with a long, gray beard in my head.

Also, the "tear" in the corner to show a brief window into what used to be with the trees and sunlight just really isn't executed well. If I hadn't been forced to read this for school, I would never have stopped to pick this book up.

P.S. I have been dealing with a nasty bug since yesterday -- if I'm not in class tomorrow, that's unfortunately why. I'll try to post my progress on the blog when I'm feeling better!