Friday, June 21, 2013

Re: Great Book, Disappointing Cover

Stacy, I would venture that most of Philippa Gregory's book covers leave something to be desired. Which is too bad because I really do enjoy her books.

I'm not a JRR Tolkien fan. But I know more quite a bit about him and his stories because of my husband's obsession. He has this copy of The Hobbit (he actually has several different copies of The Hobbit, but that's a different conversation) and I've always been puzzled by it.
This book has actually be redesigned countless times, some better than others. This hilarious attempt was for the 50th anniversary of The Hobbit back in the 80s. Not only is the text bound by those horrible white lines, but the "illustration" is not working at all. Bilbo looks nothing like he should and Gollum? Absolutely not. Their interaction is laughable too. Even if the illustration/picture/thing was working, it's completely boxed in with that silly arch.

For true fans, here's a Pinterest board with the many faces that The Hobbit has worn over the years.