Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Re: Let's Get Physical

Good Thought!

So when Amy and Stephanie had the privilege of having me in Words & Images (*wink) my FIRST semester at UB, I was totaly clueless.  As a self-taught graphic designer, I wasn't following the rules of design, especially desiging on a GRID.  Amy looked at my designs and was like "I'm not sure what you are doing here.  What grid are you using?" (while doing the Amy wave over my designs)  And I thought to myself.."Grid??"  What's that? Lol. So needless to say, I'm designing on a grid now...and I hope I've improved.

#1 Tip - Setting Up A GRID in ID CS6:

Go to ---> Layout---> Create Guides.  Input the rows and columns and design AWAY!

#2 Tip - Use Kuler

Go to ---> Window ---> Extensions ----> Kuler

#3 Tip - Paragraph Styles

There're two ways to do this.  #1: You can create the style manually (bold, italics, etc) and then go to Paragraph Style and click the "Create New Style" icon at the bottom right and it will create a paragraph style.  Name it.  OR #2: create what you want FIRST and then apply it to the appropriate text.

---> I've always been taught to label your paragraph styles like Header, H1, H2, Body, Bullets, etc) for the different parts of your book. So that way, you can generate a TOC easier, among other things.

Ok, that's it for now.  Gotta get back to work.  I LOVE InDesign. I think it's a powerful and great program. Especially, CS6...the folio addition, interactive forms, and animation (swf) integration is great!