Wednesday, June 26, 2013

RE: The Horror Palette

Nathan, it's interesting that you bring up the topic of color! While browsing through the aisles of my local bookstore for inspiration and "best practices," I began to see a trend emerge for both cover art and color palette, so I thought to start documenting my findings (below). I do not remember which genre all these books are classified under, but a number of them fall under "Teen Fiction." The color palette I am seeing are silver, blue, and brown tones. In addition to color, what's interesting to note is the overwhelming use of the eye or the covering part of the face as cover art. I wonder why we see this trending especially in teen fiction ... maybe because teens are trying to figure themselves out and establish their own identity? Any other thoughts why?