Thursday, June 20, 2013

Great Book, Disappointing Cover

Ever since Amy showed us that lovely astrology book in class I've been thinking of all the bad book designs out there. While that entire book looks horrific, I've specifically been looking back at books I've read and checking out their covers. What I've come to find is that there are many great books with such disappointing covers. One for the Money is one such book. 




One for the Money is part of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie Plum is a spunky bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey. She lives five miles away from her overprotective parents and her crazy grandmother. She teams up with a fearless, ex-armed forces bounty hunter, Ranger, as well as cop, Joe Morelli to catch the bad guys. The books are witty, humorous and a really fun read.

There are currently nineteen books and I've read six of them. Looks like I have a long way to go. But take a look at those covers. The bright colors and large text tells me absolutely nothing about these books. There is zero expressive or conceptual thought. My mom has all these books on a shelf at home and they are truly an eye sore. Maybe Evanovich has one thing going for her marketing efforts; you can spot a Stephanie Plum novel a mile away. I still don't think that's a good reason for such terrible covers.

What are some books that you've read (actually read!) with disappointing covers? Why do you feel the current cover is not working? How do you think the cover could be improved?