Friday, June 21, 2013

Re: Serif or Sans? AND Re: Good Book, Bad Cover

Emily, in regards to your question I'm actually really curious to see what Amy's and the rest of the class's thoughts are on this. If I was answering it right after graduating college I would have immediately said "serif" because that is what I was taught; however, with the abundance of online and mobile reading that happens today, and a good majority of that being done with sans-serif typefaces, I think there is now more grey area than before. For our last project, I actually used a sans-serif typeface. Since it was a short story and spanned relatively few pages, I figured "why not?' I've also used sans-serifs for annual reports, conference programs, and similar printed materials and there haven't seemed to be any issues, but those are all usually broken up pretty well with photos, headers, and captions. That said, part of me is still a little bit of a traditionalist, so for this project, I was going to go with a serif for my body copy. I saw an interesting (and not very long) debate on this forum about this topic: http://www.typophile.com/node/60758

My example of a good book with a bad cover is Wideacre by Philippa Gregory. It's part of a Trilogy, but so far, I've only read this first book in the series. This book actually gets a lot of debate on whether it's good or not. After reading reviews online, it seems like you either love it or hate it. I think this is due to the fact that the main character is absolutely awful. She will do whatever it takes to get what she wants (including murder and incest... oh yeah... lots and lots of gross incest). In addition to being downright horrible, the main character is described as intelligent, powerful, beautiful and completely seductive. The reason I actually liked the book is that it constantly kept me wondering what was going to happen and how it would all end. From the first act of murder to sleeping with her brother, I never knew what was going to happen next.


I think my biggest issue with these covers is that they don't allow you to form your own vision of what the main character looks like. I also think that they all do a poor job of capturing her many characteristics. The middle one seems to do the best, but there is so much going on with the rest of the cover, that you don't really focus too much on the character. The first one is the most pleasing design (in my opinion) but they have completely missed the mark on portraying the main character, which is most likely why readers are so shocked my the subject matter presented in the book.