Thursday, June 27, 2013

RE: The Horror Palette

 When thinking about graphic design and the choices we as designers make type and color palette are usually among the first decisions one makes. It is one of those very personal choices a artist makes to express their interpretation of a book, event, movie, Etc.

I recently read "the Thin Man" By Dashiell Hammett, a detective novel written in the 1920's. As I was reading the blog posts I Thought of the cover art on the book and the color palette on the copy I was reading. Being a book close to century old I wondered how much the cover art has changed over the years and if the color palette has made any significant changes.
























After doing a quick search on the web for "'the Thin Man' book cover"I noticed that the color palette has stays the same. The imagery, typography, and hierarchy has changed, but the color red stays constant. It is nice to know that some things stay the same. I think the reason that the color red indorses in all these covers is because it is a strong, romantic, and primal. The book expresses all these elements in Spades.






















I am curious if the designers of all of this book cover thought they were making a individual decision about color. Or if perhaps they drew influence from each other?
I wonder what the future holds for the enduring books of our generation? And if the designers of the future will use the same color palette for "Harry Potter". What do you all think?