Sunday, June 16, 2013

Re: Life-changing books

I had to think long and hard about life-changing books. I love so many novels, but things that really changed my life? That's a different story.

But I guess I'd have to say The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin came about as close to changing my life as a piece of literature can. 
It's a smart and energetic read about finding happiness by small, simple, and daily acts that I loved to bits. However, Rubin's motivation behind the project, and the book, is sort of chilling. She says that she didn't want to look back at the end of her life or after some great catastrophe, and think, "How happy I used to be then, if only I'd realized it." She shares this quote from Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette: "What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner."

Spooky, right? It's unnerving to have someone put into words something we all so casually do. But I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I've looked back and thought those exact words: "How happy I used to be then."

Hana, I read The Five Love Languages ages ago. I speak "words of affirmation" and then "physical touch." I agree that it is a MUST read for every couple.