Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Re: Book Hysteria

My first book hysteria.... Harry Potter! I'll admit to being a huge Harry Potter fan. I'm the proud owner of all 7 books and 8 movies. I was 10 when the first book was published and as the books progressed, so did I and so did the characters. To some extend, it felt like we grew up together. 


As I've mentioned in class, my mother is an elementary school librarian and I know one book that caused a little stir among her students' parents was The Sissy Duckling by Harvey Fierstein. The book is about Elmer, a sissy male duckling who is bullied constantly becaus of his feminine and flamboyant nature. Elmer's father refuses to accept him. But when his father is shot by a hunter, it’s up to Elmer to save him. His father then learns about his son’s true courageousness. 

There have been a few parents that asked my mom why a book about a 'gay duckling' was in the library for young children to read. My mom simply stated the book is showing kids, in a creative and careful way, that some individuals are 'different' then others, but that's no reason for us to treat them differently. I most definitely agree with her.