Monday, June 24, 2013

Re: Disappointing Cover

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold, written by C.S. Lewis, was sitting on my bookshelf and I recently (finally) picked it up to read. I think I stole it from the Cranston, RI library about 10 years ago. Not so much stole, but borrowed and never gave back. This novel, published in 1956, is a retelling of the Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche. I never got big into Greek mythology and literature in college, even though I was essentially a Literature major. I opted for American Literature instead. So I figured, despite the cover, perhaps this would be a good read. And it was!

The novel is about two princesses - one beautiful and one unattractive - Cupid and Psyche and what is truly pure and profane. It is about questioning God in a community that puts their faith in people and their God at the source of pain. The cover that I have at home, however, does nothing for me: