Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Re: Color Palette

I definitely think there are popular color palettes for certain genres depending on the audience. I wanted to try and find something that targets a very specific audience, so I pulled some of my husband's books on UFC Fighting.


As you can see, the colors are, for the most part, heavy on the black. Red is also a predominant color. My guess is that this is for a few reasons:

1.) It's one of the main colors of the UFC logo.
2.) It's a "power" color.
3.) It's masculine.
4.) Blood. (And anyone who's ever watched a UFC fight knows there's usually a ton of blood).

Hana, something else I've noticed with Teen Fiction is lots of swirly-vine-things. Here's some images I collected from Barnes & Noble's website:


I think some designers are able to incorporate trends in a more subtle way, while others seem to go for the gusto, creating a design that will look really dated 10 years from now.