Thursday, June 20, 2013

Re: Let's get physical

Great tips so far, folks. Hana, thank you for that explanation of highlighting—I had to figure that out for myself once, and it was a serious pain.

I'm still largely a novice when it comes to InDesign's more advanced features, so I'm afraid I have more questions than answers. I have learned, though, that InDesign has the most robust find-and-replace functionality I've ever seen. It even incorporates codes for special and invisible characters. For example, if you have a document that contains double line breaks between paragraphs and you want to get rid of them, just replace all instances of "^p^p" with "^p". It works wonders.

Now here's a couple of things I haven't figured out:

• I pretty much understand master pages, but I have yet to grok master text frames. Can someone please explain to me how they work, and how to resize them across all pages of a document?

• How do you change the font of a block of text without disrupting formatting like italics? There's got to be a way that I'm not seeing.