Thursday, June 13, 2013

Life-changing books

Let's talk about books that have left an indelible mark in our hearts and minds—books that made us a better person, changed our outlook on life, influenced who we've become, shaped our perspectives on certain matters, or even challenged our way(s) of thinking.

For me, one of the frontrunners is the "Five Love Languages" by Dr. Gary Chapman. The book was first published in the early 1990's and since then have been translated into over 36 languages and sold over 5 million copies. This success doesn't surprise me. I've attended one of his seminars and have heard him on the radio a number times--he truly has the gift of speech, language, and humor, and I feel wholly and richly blessed with the knowledge gained from the book.



So the book: We all long to fall in love, be loved, and stay in love. Dr. Gary Chapman notes that the euphoria of the in-love state we experience at the beginning of our relationships last all but two years. Instead, he says love is a conscious choice, "When an action doesn't come naturally to you, it is a greater expression of love." Moreover, on marriage, Dr. Chapman says, "Many of us ... are trained to analyze problems and create solutions. We forget that marriage is a relationship, not a project to be completed or a problem to solve."

The book helps to identify, express, and reciprocate our thoughts/feelings to our special someone, but the principles can apply to just about any type of relationship we have throughout our lives. This book has taught me to be proactive in ways I show my love not only for my fiance but also how to better communicate with friends, family, colleagues, etc.

Everyone speaks a different love language, and to be effective, we all need to understand how to communicate in each others' love language. So, each person has a primary love language, followed by a secondary one:
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Acts of Service
  • Physical Touch
My primary love language is words of affirmation, followed by acts of service. I'm a believer that words help to either build or knock people down, and that is especially true in my case. Thus, I try to be cognizant of my tone of voice and word choice so they reflect in ways I'd like to be treated in return. As for cts of service: my fiance always greets me at the door, even before I get to our house door whenever he gets home before I do. This puts a smile on my face and helps recharge my "emotional tank."

Looking at the three book cover renditions, although the subtitles have changed, it seems like the publisher purposely chose to keep certain themes and design direction, such as the heart and the color purple. Moreover, it looks as if they wanted to refresh the design instead of rethinking the cover concept.

For those of you who've already read this book, what's your love language(s)?

Looking forward to reading which books have changed, shaped, and/or influenced you. :)



PS:
Additional meaningful quotes:
“Recent research has indicated that the average individual listens for only seventeen seconds before interrupting and interjecting his own ideas.” 

"When your spouse’s emotional love tank is full and he feels secure in your love, the whole world looks bright and your spouse will move out to reach his highest potential in life." 

“The in-love experience does not focus on our own growth or on the growth and development of the other person. Rather, it gives us the sense that we have arrived and that we do not need further growth.”

"Most sexual problems in marriage have little to do with physical techniques but everything to do with emotional needs."

"Love is something you do for someone else, not something you do for yourself."