Sunday, June 28, 2015

Re: Tactility


Materials of a book, or any material in general have a significant impact on experience for users (in my opinion). I think it is definitely a key ingredient in the storytelling element of the book cover itself, and the many reasons you may move to purchase and cozy-up with a book.  Much like we have discussed that the art should hint at the story of the book, but not give it away – I think the sensory experience of touch plays just important of a role. The texture can hint at a mood – much like a finely woven Egyptian cotton bed sheet (vs the sale item at Walmart) can make you feel pampered.

An example I came across, when reading this article titled, Cover Stories, interviewed Coralie Bickford-Smith (there she is again!) about her cover design for the novel “Robinson Crusoe.”  (I just have the PDF - wouldn't let me attach it here). She settled on a moon design, but pay attention to the tactile qualities:

She was tracking illustration styles and printing methods, but she also remembers seeing the same imagery over and over: Footprints in the sand or a guy with no shoes on a deserted island. "This visual language has become a shorthand for 'Robinson Crusoe,'" says the senior book cover designer for Penguin U.K. "I tried to do something totally different."

The clothbound series always features one illustrated object on a grid, and Bickford-Smith decided on the moon. It communicates the solitude of looking up at the night sky, and the moon's phases mark the passage of time. Her woodcut style illustrations are embossed in white matte foil on dark blue cloth.

The white matte foil, and the cut and grooves of the lines on a soft, deep blue cloth cover definitely communicate something to be uncovered, the journey the character is about to take. The thought of the materials coincides with the actual graphic design. Something shining on a deep, rich background, much like the night sky. I can imagine this is lovely to the touch. Think how differently this would look and feel on a cheap or glossy cover? How different it would look? What would that communicate?



Andrew, I agree with you in your love for letterpress and think it gives such a richer experience. I personally letterpressed our wedding invitations and took great care in picking paper – it was soft and warm, but rich with texture (I went with lettra 300gsm…swoon)– it was important to me to provide this sensation of an outdoor wedding near the beach, which was not stuffy-formal but also not a “show up in your shorts and flip flops” type beach wedding. Here, my paper and printing style helped to set the tone of our wedding, much like the paper/printing choices set the tone for the book you are about to experience. 

Of course the inside pages would seem to be just as important for experience as the cover.  As far as the edges of paper go, clean or deckled – I hadn’t even thought about this. I actually think deckled edges would work really well for my final design for my novel if I could execute  it.  I found an interesting article on the deckle edge history/choice in the printing world here  - and the debate whether users think it is a mistake, a defect or a fabulous artistic quality added to the book.

An excerpt:
An artifact of bygone days, the "deckle edge" is part of the modern fetishisation of the past, much as Instagram glorifies the 1970s snapshot camera. An artefact that might have annoyed the makers of the day turns into a trait intended to evoke the whole experience and emotion associated with the original, but without any of the baggage.

Great, timely topic discussion - I'm still considering choices for my final design!