Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Re: The Last Buy & First Impressions

The last book I bought was the Kindle version of Age of Innocence, which doesn't really count since it's my chosen novel for our second book design. But I guess I could speak to the reason why I chose this book. I too have a short attention span when reading (my mind often wanders off and even though my eyes continue to move and read, my comprehension slowly diminishes as my mind continuously rolls on about other things). So therefore, when picking a book to read I have to know it will at least try to keep my attention and that I'll be able to get something out of it. The last book I read thoroughly in a period of a weekend was Jane Eyre, and that was sadly in high school. I have read Pride and Prejudice, but only after seeing the movie and have since fallen in love with almost every Jane Austen book/movie. But these early set romantic novels aren't known for their cover designs but rather their plots. So really what makes me want to read a book today is the movie I watch about it. Which I know is the backwards way of doing things, but it is my motivation to read because I can get so wrapped up in the plot of the movie that I want to know more about it. Since movies definitely don't cover every single piece of (important) detail, I know that reading the book will help me fill in the blanks. 

In choosing Age of Innocence, while it is set a little later in time then Austen and Bronte's pieces, it is that old romantic novel that I could potentially be drawn to. And, its appears like a love tragedy from at least one perspective. So that is why I chose this. And I will say, I have NOT seen the movie. So this is the first time in a long time I chose a book to read before seeing the movie first. But the reason unfortunately wasn't because of the awesome cover design, it was simply because of the plot line.