Thursday, June 11, 2015

Re: Binding

This post takes me back to Book Arts class. I agree, sewn binds are nicer than stapled ones, and like others have mentioned my favorite is the coptic bind. When done right they look amazing. But if you screw up the sewing it's obvious and difficult to fix unless caught right away. I will have to say that it takes time and practice to master the basic stitch so it may take a few tries before I'm comfortable trying something more intricate while sewing that particular bind. Two other favorites for me were the Bradel bind and Drum Leaf (the Bradel spine is round and the Drum Leaf does not require printing on both sides or printing as a booklet so it's fairly easy to make). Here is the resource page from the Book Arts class blog in case anyone is looking for book binding instructions.

I also came across this site, Designers Insights, which I thought was helpful in determining what binds work for certain projects.

I'll leave you with a photo example of each of my favorite binds (when not including Coptic) -
Bradel and Drum Leaf: