Sunday, June 7, 2015

Re: Printers 101

I agree that being able to talk to/have a relationship with your printer is the best situation. My go-to is Minute Man Press near my work in Bowie, Md. -- but I have a much different experience on the ordering-end than what is described with the one in Columbia! I usually email my file directly to them the night before and call in the morning to talk through the project/any special instructions. I can usually pick up that day by close of business. The same guy is always working so I have a good relationship with him.  I have gone in early to check out their paper supply and I've even brought my laptop in and done re-prints right there when my color wasn't printing quite right. I definitely recommend them if you live in that area.

When I am working from home in Baltimore, I print at Vircity in Canton. Their quality is usually pretty good and they can turn around a print job in a matter of an hour. They don't seem to be as knowledgeable, but they are always a voice on the other end and very nice. You can't beat the turnaround time.  At work, we have also used Sir Speedy in DC -- but I've only used them for bulk corporate orders that we have delivered. Their quality has been nice in terms of newsletters and one-sheets/promotional material.

My check list is the same as Shannon's, which I supply in an email to my printers: type of paper, weight of paper, color or black and white,  whether or not it is full bleed,  whether I would like them to trim or not (Minute Man doesn't charge me - Vircity does per cut), final size of artwork, number of copies, plus any special instructions. Getting the printer to trim my work has saved me so much time and headache.

Bad experiences?Always Staples. I feel like my order always gets messed up,  its not ready when it is supposed to be, or they don't know what they are doing.

I'm excited to know of some more printers in the area. I feel like I have a lot to learn when it comes to getting files properly prepared for printers-- I'd definitely be interested in taking that class when it becomes available again.