Sunday, June 7, 2015

Re: Printers 101

Printing can definitely become a big bump in the road when final projects are approaching. You need the right printer, the right paper, the right help, etc. to ensure you get the right product!!

During my Magazine Design course, I knew that my HP Officejet Pro 8610 and my cutting skills were not going to do the trick. I also had no idea how the heck to print a 2-up saddle stitch. It was a first for me. 

This is my printer I have at home: HP Officejet Pro 8610





It is an AWESOME printer that can print really heavy paperweights and super clear color. It is nothing like a huge professional printer but it has worked wonders for me throughout the pub design program. Although this is a great printer, I opt to get my work printed from a professional printer with the help of an expert to ensure my final product is just right.

My first professional printing experience, I ended up going to FedEx Kinkos on Rockville Pike (Rockville, MD) with my fingers crossed that someone knew how to use the ID program, and the woman there helped me SO MUCH. She was able to open up not only my InDesign file and know what she was working with, but she was able to print, staple, and cut the magazine to the correct size with the correct paper. After the amazing customer service and focus she gave to my project, I knew I would be coming back to see her again.

When Portfolio came around, I knew FedEx Kinkos was the place to go to print up my business card, letterhead, resume, and envelope. She took it all with a grain of salt, cut everything to the perfect size, and I had I had a full package of my deliverables within 10 minutes. She was awesome.


Moving forward to Book Design, I will definitely be back to Kinkos this go-around. Being a student also helps with the printing prices, and after building loyalty with Kinkos, and a friendly relationship with the Kinkos staff, they have been extremely helpful. Building loyalty and relationships can go a long way when you need help.