Monday, June 8, 2015

Re: Feedback

I'm super-late posting, so this may not be useful, but I'll put my thoughts here anyway, in case printing hasn't happened yet (see you in the lab tonight!):

Rachel:

  • Can you get to the lab tonight? I think the poster printer might be really useful for you for the cover--you can try the rich orange with reversed out type and leopard illustration.
  • If you use the spot in the O, do not use the leopard illustration, and vice versa. Try one cover with the spot; try one cover with the leopard; then see which is working best, but having both on the cover is unnecessary, and a little distracting. 
  • I agree with what Shannon said about refining the type--take a critical eye to how the different letters are relating to each other, like we were talking about with Layla's cover last week.
Shannon:
  • You're right--it kind of looks like the text is floating over the image below, not incorporated into it. This is probably something you've already tried, but did you scroll through the blend modes on the type layer in Photoshop? (I'd go with multiply first, though it might end up too dark.) Sometimes they go a long way in making texture from the bottom layer show through the top one (though, they will affect the brightness of the lipstick, too)
  • I agree with Erin's idea about playing with how the lipstick moves across the grout--it would probably either skip over or build up there, right?
  • Consider working with the author's name--it's really small and kind of looks like an afterthought. And Garcia Marquez is pretty well-known as a Nobel prize-winner, so he's one of those authors where his name could be even bigger than the title since it alone would get some readers to pick up the book.
  • I like where you're going with the inside covers--I'm wondering how it would look if you vary the size of the phrase in some places, that it might give the pages more depth?
Erin:
  • I like the placement of the title and the author above it on the second image. I'm not sold on the layered type, even as a vibration effect, above that line because it seems to contradict the impression of her trying to keep the chaos contained.
  • I think the line should either bleed off both ends of the cover, or come much closer to it. As it is now, there's so much space to the left of it that I'm wondering why the crazy hasn't spilled out. There isn't much to keep it contained with the line leaving so much open space. It might be interesting to keep a slight open space to the left to indicate the tenuousness of her ability to control it, but it might also look like a mistake, so... you could try it and see what you think. I think the closed-off section works better over one this open, though.