Sunday, June 14, 2015

Re: Cover Design: Keep it Simple?

Keeping my cover designs simple has always been a struggle for me. Perhaps I am trying to compensate for a lack of artistic skill, or I'm failing to recreate something similar to an existing design I've liked. But when it comes to book covers that I like, I do notice that they tend to keep it simple. That doesn't mean that the designs are easy to create, but they do zero in on a single concept. I'm particularly interested in typographic covers right now as one of my concepts for Book 2 will be typographic. Here are some simple book cover designs (typographic in nature) I came across while browsing bookcoverarchive.com.

On the other hand, there are some interesting typographic book cover designs that I wouldn't call "simple." Below is an example of a design I would say has too much going on, even though that might be the point for this collection of stories.