Sunday, June 21, 2015

Re: Color Schemes

I struggle when it comes to picking the best color palette for a project because I like bright colors. I am naturally drawn to book covers with strong vibrant colors, so if I had the choice I would do the same for self-designed books. I especially like the pop effect that color gives the cover as a balance between the black-text-on-white-paper-look on the inside. 

Since we are on the subject, I found Cover Design Studio to be an interesting read in regards to their page on best colors for book covers. Below is a helpful reminder of the tone certain colors invoke when used in a design. If I were to follow this chart for my cover design then I would say dark red and grey would more closely align with the tone of the story compared to my previous colors of green and orange. 

RedEnergy, enthusiasm, emotion, power
Dark RedPassion, depth, dominance, prestige
OrangePositive, dynamic, optimistic, confident
Pale YellowFriendly, approachable, warm
Bold YellowAmbition, motivation, creativity, cutting edge
GreenNature, vitality, environment, health
BlueDependability, trust, thoughtfulness, calm
Dark BlueDeep sincerity, intuition, truth
Light Purpleprosperity, spirituality, creativity, harmony
Dark PurpleDepth, wealth, mystery, fantasy
GreySophistication, knowledge, prestige, wisdom
PinkYouth, playfulness, emotion, innocence
WhiteClean, straightforward, self-sufficient, simple
BlackAuthority, power, control, mystery, suspense
BrownNatural, of the earth, comfortable, organic