Thursday, June 18, 2015

Re: Designing for Perfect Bound

Thanks, Layla, for the videos and the links to other resources. I will definitely be reading through those in more detail. Same to you, Rachel. Shannon, if you look back at Katie's post from last week in response to Abby's sewing topic, there's a page that refers to setting up files for perfect binding. Shannon, it does look like there are instructions for printing in signatures for perfect binding for InDesign on the Adobe site. I need to reread through them a few times to make sure I understand it, but it looks like you can tell it how many pages to put in a signature--I think 8- or 16- page signatures is standard for perfectly-bound books of novel length and mass production (probably for printing costs in that you're using fewer pages of larger paper), but I imagine it depends on how much sewing/gluing one wants to do... Here's another site that I've bookmarked for more detailed reading over the next couple weeks: Designer's Resources from Design Insights. It looks like they have some good examples of typesetting, which will be quite fun this time around, I'm sure, and clear illustrations of signature options. Though none of this may even be necessary for this particular project because I'll basically be printing in the lab, unless I take off work every time I print, so I'm not going to be able to use large enough sheets of paper to worry about anything more than a 4-page signature...

Now, I need to make a list of the supplies I'm going to have to buy/find...