Thursday, June 4, 2015

Re: The Last Buy & First Impressions


I bought this book because, well, I love the cover. I didn't know the author or his work except for vague Facebook-related socializing. Pops of color, geometric, vintage-y, science-y—it's not a perfect color but it just nailed all these elements that resonate with me and my aesthetic (visually, poetically). Basically it all added up to a perfect impulse buy and the poetry is good enough to justify it. Physically it's a matte material, which is oh so satisfying, though I'm not sure it really fits the content.


Another impulse buy. Obviously I am really drawn to a certain type of elaborate/ornate decoration. There's of course something religious in the title in the title and image, but with enough negative space to not overwhelm. The material is a softish/high-quality card stock that feels substantive but not overbearing.

I do find that there is a material-visual connection for me, especially since I began the MFA program and began noticing so many more details and choices (which sometimes means I'm far too critical!). My impulse control is low, so it doesn't usually take much for me to pull the trigger on buying a new book, especially if I'm in a new city/indie bookstore.