Friday, June 5, 2015

Printers 101

So since our projects are due next week, I thought it would be a good time to discuss printers and share our knowledge/experiences with ones we've used before. I took Designer's Survival Guide last semester and learned a lot about how to communicate with printers and even took a tour. Here are a few things I learned from the class:

Communication and your relationship with your contact there are probably the two most important parts of printing. In order to ensure your project will come out just like you wanted, make sure you go into as much detail as possible. Here are two samples of printer order forms: (you can simply write all of this in an email if you don't want to create a document)




Make sure you ask your contact what type of files they prefer. Typically this information will be on their website.

The printer I've had the best experience with is Indigo Ink in Columbia. For Jeanne's type 2 class, we designed a booklet and I went to Indigo. They are very timely and customer friendly. On their website, you can order their paper swatch booklet for free, which was extremely helpful when not only ordering, but while designing.

During Designer's Survival Guide, the owner of Alpha Graphics, in Baltimore, was a guest speaker. I haven't personally worked with them, but I've heard good things. Both of these printers have competitive pricing.

I toured Minute Man Press in Owings Mills. My close friend printed with this company and speaks very highly of them. Joe Fioramonti also recommends printing with them. They went above and beyond and hand delivered my friend's project to her office (it was only one piece) because she couldn't come pick it up in time for when the project was due. Definitely a good thing to remember next week if you are behind. The reason I chose to print with Indio over Minute Man last semester is because Indigo was much more personal when ordering, while Minute Man works entirely digitally and there isn't much interaction with people. It was easier to ask questions and voice my concerns when I had someone's personal email.

For more information, I know Lynda.com has great videos on printing. I will be in the lab tomorrow and I will bring my paper swatch book from Indigo.

Topics/questions that come to mind:
What printers have you used? Good vs. bad experiences?
Have you ever chose a book based on the feeling of its cover/paper? How important are these decisions?