Sunday, June 28, 2015

Re: Tactility

I have noticed that tactility definitely plays a role in a person's book buying experience. For me, I will pick up a book that looks interesting and feel it, open it, run my hands across the words of the title, turn the pages, etc. I never knew that it was called "deckle edging" but I do enjoy when the paper is just a little different. I think the tactile experience plays an even more important role nowadays when we don't have to buy the physical book...we can usually find the e-book instead (or even the audiobook). There is a tactile experience with e-books too, as Keith pointed out, but physical books can offer a more stimulating experience. My copies of the Series of Unfortunate Events books and The Count of Monte Cristo all have "deckle edging." I appreciate this because the stories take their readers to a different time and place, so it helps to have a physical representation of that. The paper reminds us of a time when everything wasn't machine made. And I don't just buy a book to read it. It's eventually going to join the rest of my books in my bookcase. I can pick it up and feel it again and again. I may even be more likely to reread the book.