Monday, June 29, 2015

Interactive Fiction

It’s time to talk about interactive fiction. This is new to me. I don’t have much experience with electronic books but I can see their appeal. It’s easy to carry around a whole library with you. As I mentioned in my last post, it’s easy to search and make notes and to change the typeface and colors. Both paper books and electronic books have their appeal.

As I started to research interactive books, I was a bit turned off as I saw a lot about gaming and choosing different paths in a story. I’m not much of a video game person, and the idea of choosing what will happen next in the story just doesn’t appeal to me. I want the author to tell me a story. 

But as I saw more about added features such as pictures, videos, documentary footage, maps, integrated animation and infographics, I thought this was exciting and has promise. I thought this was a great introduction, a TED2011 presentation by Mike Matas:


The interactive transcript is here.

What have you found in your research on interactive books? What experience do you have with these? What cool ideas can you see implementing in your design? What comes next?