Wednesday, June 3, 2015

RE: The Last Buy and First Impressions

The last book I read was 'Just Kids' by Patti Smith. If you haven't read it, and you like non-fiction, and you're obsessed with music, and you're a total snob about it (like me) then read it! (If that doesn't sell it, what will?) I read this last summer, so you can see I don't read as much as I like to. I had started getting into non-fiction because I'm so hard to please when it comes to finding a good read, and I've found that reading about interesting lives has a better plot. (I guess truth really is stranger than fiction, and strange = interesting = good). I enjoyed hearing about everyone's favorite books yesterday, I think I might try a few of them out, so thank you for the ideas.

I know as I designer I shouldn't be saying this, especially in a BOOK DESIGN class, but if a book has been recommended to me and the plot sounds interesting enough, I could give a shit if the cover has been well designed or not. I very rarely/never just go into a bookstore, read the blurb and think 'I should read this' based on a combination of basic plot and design elements. For example, the below cover is very similar to my cover of Gatsby. (I actually think mine is all white/off-white, not even the orange) Talk about lacking character. But who cares when lines like this are inside: “It is invariably saddening to look through new eyes at things upon which you have expended your own powers of adjustment.” Sigh.

That said, I do agree with Jen's points about self published design, and I mostly steer clear of them - their front covers are usually so poorly designed that it is a mockery. You can't help but think 'if the cover is that bad, how good could the story be?' Jen, interesting comparison of the obviously better ebook cover and printed cover. I would be so much more likely to pick up the duct tape version! Probably scraped in the interest of being safer and less offensive. BORING.