Sunday, June 19, 2011

What Is an eBook?

Maybe if I had that ebook in chemistry, I would have gotten an A.

After seeing the book, my first thought was, "it's not a book, it's a presentation." Which made me wonder, what is a book? In print, are pop-up books "books" or toys. I guess there will be different categories of ebooks as well. One category, comprised of jpgs and type, and then a completely different level of ebooks, which are closer to flash websites. My colleague and I were discussing how to transform our publications into ebooks today, and I had her pull up the Elements YouTube video. As we were watching it, I asked her if she thought it was a book. She responded yes, "but on steroids."

Is that kind of book going to be the new standard? Can you even call the "Elements" a book? How do you make those kind of ebooks? What software do you need? I know links can be used on iPads, but can they be used on Kindle?

Finally, some people have waaaaaay too much time.