Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quixotic-Not me

First, I read Mark's post. Twice. Next, I went to the "Faux Design" website hoping to figure out what "Faux Design" was. Still nothing. Finally, I read the posts following Mark's initial "Faux Design" post. Cool, it's not just me. I want to comment on "Faux Design," but I can't get past why anyone would want to redesign somebody else's redesign. Imitation is the sincerest form of creativity? I find it annoying and insulting that somebody wants me to look at a book cover that is a knock-off of a previous era (dog-ears included) but created now? I could buy a new table and intentionally scuff it up so it resembles an antique or I could visit an antique dealer and get the real thing. Truth be told, I love retro design and I especially appreciate the black and green book cover titled Secondary Occupants, but I can't get past the idea that these aren't original retro designs. Why reinvent the wheel when the designers could come up with a new style of design. Has everything cool and creative already been done? The entire exhibition is cheapened when I take into account the pieces are covers of retro covers. I think my design is limited by my pragmatism.