Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Print/Digital Dichotomy

OMG, not again. Every time this topic comes up, I end up with a headache. Probably, because I find that in the last four years, despite my semi-noble efforts, I still haven't made any progress on my views regarding print v. digital. (Some of my other blog posts on print v. digital.) Reading an iPad in bed, with a plethora of titles to chose from, and I don't even have to go to the bookstore. No trees are devoured and the book stacks in my apartment aren't reminiscent of the Manhattan skyline. Oh, and the whole idea of reading literature on a Nook just makes me feel dirty.

However, something has dawned on me recently. I didn't grow up with the internet and digital publications. My life doesn't stop if I can't check my email every five minutes. The only calls I answer immediately are from my boss and that's only if my phone is within arms length. I don't know if my technology ennui can be attributed to my personality or age. I hate multitasking and it's against my religion to start a project before a previous project is finished. Maybe the problem isn't digital, but me. I've noticed the members of the association I work for who request digital publications are all under 35. During conferences, the hard copy educational materials are go to our senior members and the rest go in the trash. In fact, very few senior members even take the thumb drives we offer the materials on. I think digital v. print comes down to habit and effort. My father still can't use his cell phone, but when he found out that all general counsels have blackberrys, he figured out how to use his over the weekend.