Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rebecca's Thoughts on Julian Montague



I like Julian Montague's work. (I liked his covers). I like that his designs seem simple but obviously he puts a lot of research and thought into his projects. Utilizing basic shapes and colors, his designs are very quickly understood and legible with no extraneous elements to muck it up. I am a big fan of retro objects, especially those that fall in the domestic category (product packaging, movie posters, postcards, books, etc.) I suppose that is why I enjoy this Montague's work.

By choosing everyday subjects we can all understand and relate to, he takes the ordinary and brings it to our consciousness. For example, the 'To Know the Spiders' 2008 exhibit in which he takes dead spiders, visually breaks down their faces into their most necessary, basic shapes and displays them on large canvases. Another great example is The Stray Shopping Cart Project.