Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hey, I like your style




One thing I like about Julian Montague’s work is that when it's looked at as a whole, it looks like a complete collection. Unlike some designers, all of Montague’s work has a similar style. I like that if I knew him a bit better, I’d probably be able to see a piece and say “Hey, that’s a Montague”…or at least “Hey, that looks like a Montague”. I find it confusing when designers have a ton of different styles of work. On one hand, it might make them more marketable. But on the other hand, it almost seems as though they haven’t quite figured out who they are as a designer. This is something I struggle with myself. Looking at the rest of Montague’s work makes me envy his ability to stay true to himself and still successfully complete a wide array of projects.


I have not seen any of his other work (minus the shopping cart book that Mark brought into class), and I still think that the retro book cover project idea is kind of silly, but the designs are nice. I liked this poster the best. I have a soft spot for birds and leaves.