Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I almost prefer dead bugs...


Hated the movie (and the morality class I had to watch it in) and I'll only read the book because it's one that everyone should read. I think the story is fascinating and I can't believe it's the only thing Harper Lee wrote. The story is also depressing, but not my kind of depressing. I don't know what kind of cover I think the book should have, but it's not represented on the list. The closest I can get to a nod of "okay" is the 50th anniversary cover with the silhouette of a girl on a tire swing. The entire flavor is spooky, which I remember as fitting for the book, and the design shifts the readers attention from the girl, to something more sinister. When I think of the book, I think of hopeless, despair and toxic, which the tire swing cover does a good job of conveying. I don't understand the covers with the leaves, maybe I need to reread it to grasp the meaning there. I also like the cover with the little dead bird, although I think a bird on the cover is too contrived. I hate cliche. I also hate the pictures of the girl, preferring designs with wit (little dead bird). None of these covers pass the Traci Van Buren book buying test, in a bookstore, I would ignore all of them. Can I pick the next book cover design we critique?