Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kristi's Cover Pick



I love this cover because there is very little pink on it, despite the fact that the title is "Tiepolo Pink". It has a 3-d effect created by the light blue panels, which also is an optical illusion. I think it's the pretty blue color that attracted me.The people in the oil painting look like they're sitting on top of a pillar. I have actually looked at this book at Barnes and Noble and I wanted to buy it (didn't have extra cash at the time for beautiful books.)
I think the painting is gorgeous, and the typeface is clean. This cover reminds me of what I was going for with my Rip Van Winkle adult-version book. I like this because it shows that this style can be effective if executed carefully. I think it's amusing that there is a blatant advertisement for Roberto Calasso's book "The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony" on the cover. It just shows how books have become extremely commercial.
The inside is as richly illustrated as the cover. I remember that there is also a lot of good information concerning the history of Renaissance art. I hope to buy this book one day as it is extremely attractive on the cover as well as the inside.